Wellingtons New Supreme Court was opened in January 2010 by Prince William
More than 1000 people turned out to Wellington's CBD to catch a glimpse of Prince William who represented the Queen at the opening of the new Supreme Court building January 2010.
The royal was greeted with shouts of "we love you William" as he pulled up in his convoy and more cheers as he entered the Supreme Court building following a Maori welcome. The prince was performing his first official duty for the Queen by opening the new supreme court. The permanent home for New Zealand's highest court replaces the London-based Privy Council.
The concept of the free-standing, visible courtroom acts as a metaphor for promoting ‘justice to be transparent and open’. Judges preside in the court space at eye-level with legal colleagues and the public to encourage an atmosphere of inclusiveness. The new building is surrounded by a bronze screen depicting the strength, durability and stature of the Pohutukawa and Rata tree. The building environment has a uniquely New Zealand atmosphere and is befitting of the highest court of the land.
Effuzi ‘s ‘viva’ low back tilt seat chairs upholstered in dark brown leather were selected for the public gallery by architectural firm Warren and Mahoney. This is a building of great significance to New Zealand as it will serve our country for at least 100 years